Friday, December 7, 2012

Dense Question: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind


Text- Why is William so passionate about getting an education?
Other Literature- How is Equality’s passion for getting an education similar and/or different from William’s?
Reader- Do you think someone’s passion towards getting an education can be affected by others? Does the person’s relationship with someone else make a difference? Why or why not?

In both Anthem and The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Equality and William had a passion for learning, more specifically a passion for electricity. They both wanted to learn as much as they could.
At the age of 14 William had to drop out of school because his family couldn’t afford to go, but William didn’t give up. He had to walk to the village library to get an education to help his family and he wanted to make a difference in his village. Education was a huge part of his life without it he wouldn’t have made the windmill.
Equality has a hard time getting an education just like William. Equality wants to learn and discover unknown things and to find answers to hard questions, but his society limits education. His society only tells them what they want them to know. Both William and Equality had to work to get books. Although it was easier for William to get them, all he had to do was walk to the village library. For Equality he didn’t get access to books until the discovered the house with The Golden One. They both put their education to use with their inventions.
I definitely think a person’s passion for education or anything else can be affected by others, and the relationship the two people have also affects their passion. I have a strong passion for working with the FBI when I’m older, but I am unsure about going to college worried about the cost burden. I then decided to discuss this with my dad, who I have a really close relationship with.  He said that I shouldn’t let that stand in the way from pursuing an education.  I also approached my friend’s mom, who I don’t know that well, with the same question.  She said the same thing.  I would be more likely to change my mind because of my dad’s comments because we are closer plus he would help pay the cost.
Education affects everyone in either a positive or negative way. Others can influence a person’s passion for wanting to get a good education. Education impacts the whole world.

No comments:

Post a Comment