Sunday, November 18, 2012


Write a brief letter to Ayn Rand about Anthem. You can state your reaction to the text (What did you find particularly surprising? Exciting? Moving?), ask about aspects of the novel that puzzled you and relate the novel to personal experiences, etc.

Dear Ayn Rand,

            Your novel, Anthem, was a real eye opener for me. It made me realize that it is ok to disagree with what other people believe. The novel also made me realize that if you don’t believe what others do you will probably get judged for it, but you just have to stay strong through the hard times. There will probably be many nights when you are at home and your “friends” are all hanging out without you, but if you have faith in what you believe you can get through even the hardest times, although it will not be easy you can get through it as long as you stay strong.

            I didn’t understand the novel as I read it, but after I related parts of it to personal experiences of mine that was when I started understanding it better. There were some things that surprised me and some that moved me, but there were even more that confused me. I thought it was surprising that the Council wanted so much control over everyone. I don’t understand why someone would want to be like everyone else. I was also confused about why more people than Equality didn’t go against what the Council of Vocations said. I really liked how the Golden One ran off to the Uncharted Forest to be with Equality. She risked her life to be with him.

            There are some things I am curious about. Does Equality believe in only doing things for others if it benefits one’s self just like you? I was also wondering how they got their names. Were they chosen random or do they mean something?  The thing I really don’t understand but would like to is why did the Council say the Uncharted Forest is forbidden but at the same time they were telling everyone that the rumors about there being a beast in the forest that would eat you weren’t true even though the rumors would of scared them from going in the Uncharted Forest?  That really interested me.
 
            I can relate to Equality in some ways like in school. I have had a few times where the teacher was asking for answers to the questions and I was the only one that was raising my hand the whole time so after about three or four questions she told me not to raise my hand to give others a chance to answer the questions.

            Once I understood most of the novel I really liked it. Although at the beginning I didn’t like it at all, but I think that’s because I didn’t understand it. Overall I thought it was a very good novel. I hope you consider making a sequel to this novel.

Sincerely,                               
Samantha McIver

No comments:

Post a Comment